Risk Detection Team Leader
Crisp provides 24/7/365 early-warning risk intelligence as a service for leading brands, global enterprises and social media platforms, providing customers with a real-time risk defence, with intelligence and compliance solutions guaranteed to ensure our customers are always the first to know and act.
These risks can take many forms, including activist attacks, hate speech, threats, fake news, false rumours, illegal content, compliance failures and many more.
Fuelled by the increased popularity of closed social media groups and messaging apps, this harmful content can now spread virally, at scale before it reaches mainstream media channels. Unfortunately, anyone has the power to create and share harmful content, especially instigators and influencers who distribute millions of new types every day.
Established in 2005 by social media entrepreneur Adam Hildreth, Crisp began protecting children and teenagers using online games and social networks from abuse, sexual exploitation, cyberbullying and other online harms. This relentless focus on helping to create a digital world that is safe for everyone has been Crisp’s mission from day one. Today that passion extends to working with leading brands, global enterprises and social media platforms.
Crisp currently protects over $4.5 trillion of aggregate market capitalisation across our current customer base. This demonstrates both the value and uniqueness of our service and the trust our customers have in protecting their reputational risk.
As Team Leader for Risk Detection, you will manage a team of professional risk detection engineers and language specialists. In a key role for Crisp, your team will be at the centre of everything we do at Crisp to protect children, brands and social media platforms from online harm.
In this role, you will lead the team to
- Develop risk strategies to accurately identify risk in social media data.
- Develop and update linguistic rules that match text to relevant risks.
- Work closely with the Ontology Lead to ensure that data is robustly classified in line with the Crisp ontology
- Work closely with solutions architects to ensure that risk strategies and rulesets are consistent with the overall Crisp architecture
- Ensure robust systems and processes are in place to improve the accuracy of risk detection rules, optimising those rules to the risks presented for our customers.
- Work closely with machine learning and graph data science teams to ensure that various risk detection approaches work well together.
- Work closely with IT development teams to drive innovation and the adoption of new technology within the team, improving the efficiency in the team and taking advantage of opportunities to automate manual processes.
- Manage the workflow of the team to ensure effective prioritization in line with company strategic direction.
- Build capability and motivation in the team.
- Manage transformation in the team, ensuring change lands well and the team is able to take positively advantage of change.
Directly Responsible Individual
In this role you are directly responsible for-
- The design and implementation of linguistic rulesets against Crisp customer propositions
- Ensuring that customer Service Level Agreements are met, where appropriate
- Systematically improving the quality, accuracy and efficiency of the risk rules.
- Managing, prioritising and delivering the work of the team to ensure that customer demands are delivered on time to quality standards
- Implementing Crisp transformation in the team, driving continuous productivity improvement, particularly through automation.
- Contributing to the leadership of the Chief Data Officer, supporting transformation and staff engagement.
- Managing contracts with external contractors.
In this role you will be:
- A creative thinker with a strong track record in building strategies for identifying and tackling risk in social media data.
- A strong leader with experience in practical implementation of linguistic risk rules to identify data
- A good analyst with the ability to analyse data to identify opportunities to benchmark the quality of risk rules and improve their effectiveness.
- An innovator with evidence of identifying opportunities to improve workflow processes in a team
- A strong collaborator who can work across the organisation
- A leader used to working with ambiguity and bringing clear direction to those you lead.
In order to be successful in this role you will need:
- Solid leadership skills
- Excellent change management skills
- Brilliant communication
- Strong language skills
- Process management capabilities
- Leadership experience.
- Solid understanding of NLP
- Understanding of social media platforms and data structures
- Ontology management and/or maintenance
- Analytical foundations, including Excel, SQL, JSON, Lucene
- Excellent language skills.
- Basic understanding of machine learning and graph data science.
Our rewards are as unique as our culture, and we want to attract the best people and retain them.
Not only will we ensure that your development is key, but you will be joining a fantastic team of like-minded people who work together as one team to achieve a shared vision.
We offer an excellent salary and benefits package which includes:
- Discretionary bonus scheme / commission scheme with payment based on revenue generated as a result of generated sales leads
- 33 days holiday including Bank Holidays (20 days in the US)
- Critical Illness insurance
- Life Insurance Cover
- Healthcare Cash Plan / Healthcare, dental and vision plan
- An attractive pension / 401k retirement plan scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Employee perks schemes offering discounts, rewards, giveaways and more
- Subsidised gym membership
- Mental health wellbeing portal and access to an in-house clinical psychologist
- Support and provision of supplies to facilitate home working
- Flexible working opportunities
'This work meets the requirements in respect of exempted questions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, any applicants who are offered work for this organisation will be subject to an enhanced check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). This will include details of cautions, reprimands or final warnings as well as convictions. A criminal record will not automatically bar a person from successfully taking up this post.